Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Barney's Favourite


It was really hot today, so I decided to stay in and use up the gruyere cheese I had to make Barney's favourite scones. Okay, it wasn't so much the scones he loved as the bacon and cheese that went in them. I always shared just a little bit with him; the ends of the cheese I grated and a few bits of bacon. It was lonely in the kitchen, but I managed to bake 80 appetizer bacon and cheese scones. We ate a few tonight and the rest I freeze in ziploc bags to reheat for a quick appetizer to serve company or just to have with soup. I got this recipe from the LCBO Entertaining Book and I love it. It's easy and they bake up fast. Since I still have 15 days (after tomorrow) to wait until we bring Fred home, I will probably be doing a lot of cooking to keep myself busy, the waiting is a killer. So here is the recipe for Barney's favourite scones.

Gruyere and Bacon Scones

1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. cold butter
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon, about 6 cooked slices
2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray. Stir flour, salt and baking powder together. Cut in butter. Add gruyere, bacon and parsley. Mix in milk until soft dough forms. Divide in two. Turn out onto floured board and knead each piece 2-3 times. Pat each piece out to 3/4" thick rounds and cut into eight wedges. Brush each with egg. Bake 10-12 minutes. Can freeze and reheat from frozen, uncovered at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how many scones you made, but they're so good, isn't it worth it? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...